Michael Mina has many restaurants under his wing and I asked him to suggest a recipe that could be easily re-created for an informal Holiday house party.
Here's something you can dip, dunk in, the Cheese Fondue recipe from Stonehill Tavern at St. Regis Monarch Beach in Dana Point, California.
STONEHILL TAVERN Classic Cheese Fondue Recipe
Serving Suggested for 2
1/2 loaf Sourdough bread - diced into cubes large enough for dipping (1”x1”)
1 Cup Shredded Gruyere Cheese
1 Cup Shredded Ementhaler Cheese
1 Bay Leaf
1 Clove of Garlic, Smashed
1/2 T Kirsch Liqueur or Brandy
1/2 tsp Cornstarch
1/2 Cup White Wine
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Place garlic, white wine, Kirsch & bay leaf in pan, bring to a boil
2. Mix cornstarch with 1 Tbs water to make a slurry
3. While liquid is boiling, whisk in cheese and slurry rapidly until emulsified
4. Finish with salt & pepper
5. Serve with cubed sourdough & enjoy!
Recommended wines: your favorite White Burgundy
Make sure to have back up bread and fondue so you don't run out as your holiday party hits its stride.